Consultation with Children and Young People with SEND
Teachers, SEND Coordinator and Support Staff will work with children and young people to identify the support needed to meet agreed outcomes. The provision is planned and interventions are allocated to individual needs. The children take an active role with setting their targets, discussing them with the class teacher/SEND Coordinator. The children have regular meetings with support staff to discuss their progress and support.
Consultation with parents and carers of children and young people with SEND
We are committed to working with parents and carers to identify their child’s needs and support. Parents and carers will be involved throughout the process.
There is a range of ways this can be done, for example:
- Termly parents/ carers evenings;
- Ongoing discussions with a class teacher and/or SEND Coordinator;
- An ‘open-door’ policy, where parents and carers are welcome to come into school to discuss any concerns they may have;
- Through a review of a child’s SEND Support Plan or the Annual Review of their Statement of SEND or EHC Plan.
It is always important that the views of pupils with SEND and their families are heard at Cockton Hill Junior School. We aim to support all pupils with SEND to maximise their enjoyment of learning.
Liaison with pupils can take place in many forms:
- Regular meetings and discussions in school with parents around the provision for their child and how we can support them by sharing best practice.
- Observe pupils and discuss with them the learning environment that suits them best. Talk about what activities motivate them the most.
- Support pupils with resources that they find the most engaging and stimulating and extend their use.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.